Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Arrangement - Part 1

The Arrangement

Dedicated to C.G. of closetinva.blogspot.com


Part 1 of 4

I was alone and in a few days it would be Saint Valentine Day. All my friends were getting ready to celebrate it with their significant other. I was alone.

Not that I never tried to find someone, but it seemed I was always looking for love in the wrong places. I sat with my coffee wondering what to do. I sipped the drink slowly. I loved piping hot coffee. The hotter the better.

I decided not to stay at home. I was going out. I might as well enjoy this nice weather. I headed downtown. I wanted to be around people. I took the subway. As I waiting for the train, I spotted a guy. I said to myself, ‘Nice’. I shook my head and thought, "No more one night stands. I needed something long term."

But there was something about him that was different. He looked like he was college age, and he wore the usual clothes for college student of a T-shirt and jeans. He was busy texting someone. All I knew, was that it was not me that he was texting.

The train arrived and I settled into a seat. I closed my eyes for a second, thinking what I should do today. I head a voice asked, "Is this seat taken?" I opened my eyes and it was him, the ‘Nice’ guy. He asked, "How is it going?"

He said his name was Eric. I introduce myself, "My name is Randy." We sat in silence for a few minutes as the trained picked up speed and rambled down the track. Eric asked me, "Any big plans for the weekend?"

I am not sure why I said what I said but I told him that I was alone for Valentine’s Day and wanted to serve that someone special a hot cup of coffee on Valentine’s Day morning, but it did not look like it was going to happen.

Eric opened up and said, "I want to give that someone special one rose on Valentine Day morning." I laughed, "You are a big spender." Eric poked me with his elbow and said, "What about you, a cup of coffee." I elbowed him back, "With cream and sugar." Eric smiles, "Excuse me, you are going all out on this one."

I am not sure why I said what I said but I said, "I have an idea. How about a platonic Arrangement, I will serve you coffee on Valentine Day, and you give a single rose to me on Valentine Day." Eric thought about it and said, "I will do it, only if I get to spend a night at your place." He saw me staring at him. He said, "Strictly platonic. OK?"

I had nothing else going on, so I agreed to the arrangement. I gave him my address and telephone number and we agreed to meet Sunday evening, the night before Valentine Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment