Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Coffee Shop - Part 1

The Coffee Shop

Part 1 of 3

I stopped for my usual cup of coffee. As I opened the door, I saw a guy running to the entrance. I held the door as he rushed past me to get in line. He hurriedly ordered and got his coffee. He blew past me and nearly knocked me down. I dropped some contracts from work that I brought with me to go over.

As the guy flew out the door, he turned and looked at me picking up the paper. His face had a look of apology on it. I stare at him and wish he had stopped. He turned and melted into the crowd and was off to wherever he was so anxious to go.

I shook my head, picked up the spilled paperwork, and sat down to drink my coffee. I wondered who it was and if we would ever meet again. No sooner did I take a sip of coffee, the guy entered the door. He looked around the room and spotted me and came over.

"I am really sorry for bumping into you. This has not been my day. Mind if I sit?"

"You seemed to be in a hurry. What so important and why are you here now?" I asked.

"I was trying to catch a bus to go to an interview. I missed it and there is not another one for 30 minutes. Like I said, this has not been my day."

I asked him where was the interview. I was surprised. I knew the company and the hiring manager.

I called the hiring manager on the phone. "Mark, I am having car trouble and this guy, Ray, is helping me. It looked like he is going to be late for his interview with you. Can you please reschedule it for later this morning? You can? That is great.
Thanks, Mark."

Ray was so relieved. "I owe you big time." I gave him my telephone number and said, "If you get the job, call me, you can buy me dinner. Deal?"

Ray got up to catch his next bus. He looked totally relieved. He shook my hand and held it for the longest time. "I’ll get that job and I will call you. That is a deal." He turned to leave and as he went out the door, he turned towards me and smiled.

Ray left and I finished my coffee. I felt good that I was able to be a help to him. Deep down I wanted him to get the job and see him again, but I figured I probably would not see him again.

1 comment: