Monday, July 25, 2011

Humpback Mountain - Epilog

Humpback Mountain

Epilog

I love early mornings on Humpback Mountain.  Ricky was sleeping in today.  He laid with the covers exposing his round ass.  I moved the covers back over his body.  I got up and made me a cup of coffee.  I drank it out on the deck.  The day was shaping up to be a beautiful one.  The sky was blue and not a cloud could be seen.      

I returned to the bed and slipped next to Ricky.  He briefly woke up and looked around, then wrapped his arms around my chest.  I whispered, “Sorry, go back to sleep.”  He snuggled closer.  I felt his heart beat.  It was a sound that I loved to listen to.         

 I laid there and thought about the past few years, and all the great time we had on Humpback Mountain.  As far as I can remember, we were a threesome who got along and never fought.  Now it was only us two.

I remember trying to talk Joey out of going into the military but after he made his final decision, I was proud of him.  I reached over to my nightstand and open the drawer and removed his last letter. 

He was so close to coming home.  In his letter he wrote that he missed me, Ricky, and of course, the mountain.  I told him the place was up for sale, so we might need to find a different place.  He said when he returned, he never wanted to leave the mountain.  That is when I decided to buy the cabin. 

His last letter was not as cheerful and upbeat as all his previous letters.  He said if anything happened to him, he wanted to be cremated and have his ashes released at the vista.   

My reply to his last letter, told him he would be home real soon and just be careful.  A sniper had other plans for Joey.

The funeral was hard to attend.  His parents knew of Joey’s wishes and turned the ashes over to me to be released at the vista.

I folded the letter back up and returned it back to the nightstand drawer.  My movement briefly woke up Ricky.  I turned towards him and held him close and whisper, “Go back to sleep.”

I held him and never wanted to let go.  We were a twosome now.      

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful-brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the resolution.

    mb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again very moving. A nice end to the series. Great writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I did cry... for to many reasons and for one.

    ReplyDelete