Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Christmas Time in Indy - Part 1

Christmas Time in Indy

Part 1 of 2

Submitted by Jay



I live south of the city and don’t get downtown to Indy much anymore.  But it was the Holidays and the circle in the heart of downtown was beckoning me to return.

I remember as a child being taken downtown to see the decorations and displays, especially ‘The Circle’.  In the center of the city there is the Soldiers and Sailors Monument.  Someone got the bright idea to turn it into the biggest Christmas tree.  When I was little, it was an awesome sight.

Today I was back in the city and wanted to see the ‘tree’ one more time.  At first, I thought I would see through my adult eyes that it was nothing more than a tall statue with strings of lights, with outdated decorations.

I parked in the downtown mall parking garage and walked towards the circle.  I found the crowd jovial and festive.  I passed a stand selling roasted chestnuts and stopped to buy a bag.  It has been years since I last tasted this holiday treat.  I cracked out the shell and pop the warm nut in my mouth.  Scenes of childhood fun flooded my mind. 

I turned the corner from Washington Street and saw the monument.  My eyes took in the sight.  Nothing looked old or dated but I was transfixed with the beauty of the decorations.  I started at it as if I was a child again.  I was happy to have returned to Indy.

I thought back to all the happy memories and pushed all the bad memories away.  It was the Holidays and time to think of the fun times only.  I wished I could share it with someone.

“Jay?  Is that you?”  I turned to see a handsome guy.  I did not recognize him.  I smiled and said, “Yes.  It is me.”  He ran up to me and grabbed me in a bear hug.  “It is so good to see you.  The last time I saw you was our five year reunion.  You look great.”

I realized I had to know him from school, but who was this gorgeous guy.  He grabbed me by the arm and pulled me towards one of the hotels in town.  “You need to see the view from my room.  It is awesome.”

As we entered the lobby, he said,  “Let’s get a drink, first.”  

I was racking my brain trying to figure out who he was.  He said school, so it must be high school.  He took out his room key and told the waiter to charge the drinks to his room.  The waiter said, “No problem, Mr Ray.”   Then it dawned on me.  It was Richard Ray.  I went to high school with him but we were never talked to each other.  I had the hots for him and was so far in the closet, that I never could say nor do anything with him.  

This opened the floodgates of high school memories.  I asked if he was married, and he answered no.  I replied that I was single also.   We then started to talk about some of the guys we went to school with and what they were doing now.

One drink led to another.  We finally went up to the room and Richard showed me the great view of the city with the monument all decked out with lights and decorations.
                                                                                                                       
He was just inches from me.  He turned and faced me.  He moved closer to me and our lips were so close I could fell the warmth of his breath.  Then our lips touched.  It last just a few seconds.  Neither one of us moved.  He put his arms around me and we kissed again, this time longer. 

He pulled back and said, “Sorry, I have been waiting a long time to do this.  I wished I came out when I was in High School.  So many wasted years.”

I smiled, “Same here.  I really had the hots for you.”

He held me tight, “Can we make up for lost years?”

I answered, “That is a good question.”

No comments:

Post a Comment