Monday, January 3, 2011

Hitchhiker Series - The Accident Part 1

Hitchhiker Series – The Accident 

Part 1 of 2

We were getting away for a few days, heading for the mountains. It was a cold day with some freezing rain overnight. I was driving along when Hitch wanted something to snack on. He unbuckled his seat belt and turned towards the back of the car to rummage though the bags of groceries. He founds some chips and turned to sit back down when I hit a patch of ice.

The car swerved to the left then did a 360 before heading off the road and smashing into a tree. For as long as I live, I will never forget seeing Hitch being thrown first against the front of the windshield, then against the side passenger window. Smashing into the tree released the airbags, but by then the damage was done.

I pulled Hitch over to me and wrapped my hands around him. I thought I could protect him but it was too late. He was unconscious. I brushed his blond hair and felt something wet. I looked at my hand and it was covered with blood. Hitch was bleeding.

A passing motorist called for help and the ambulance was there within minutes. I rode in the back with Hitch. I told the medic to take care of Hitch first before attending to me. I had some bumps and bruises but I was all right. I held Hitch’s hand and squeezed. There was no reaction.

We arrived within minutes at the hospital. I stayed with Hitch and never left his side. As soon as I knew Hitch was in good hands, I let the doctor take care of me. Although they said he would recover, I wanted to see his smiling face and hear it from him. At this point, I wanted just a squeeze from his hand.

I stayed at his side through the night. At times holding his hand, waiting for some sign, but nothing came. I said a prayer for Hitch.

I slept with my head resting on our hands. I awoke from a restless sleep by something poking me in the face. I raised my head and watch Hitch’s hand. His thumb moved. I kissed it. I started to cry. I squeezed his hand and he returned the squeeze. I looked at his face and his eyes were slowly opening. I held our hands to my lips and I say a prayer of thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment